Sunday, July 5, 2009

Birthday Run - Training and Nutrition

I'm relieved that the Birthday Run is less than a week away. It takes a little pressure off knowing there is nothing more I can do now to build endurance for my first 45 mile run, but at the same time, it allows for little bits of self-doubt to creep in. I've put in a number of key training sessions that should help me in the long run. I've summarized the approach below.

Training Summary
  • Fairly consistent 8-12 mile long runs each Saturday since March
  • Consistent 8-13 mile tempo run each week in June in addition to long runs
  • Long runs on weekend and multiple back-to-back long runs
  • Multiple night running sessions
  • Average mileage for last 5 weeks, 38-54
  • No injuries

Back-to-Back Weekend Runs and Misc Long Runs

  • May 22 - 17 mile run on Saturday
  • May 23 - 18 mile run on Sunday
  • June 13 - 19 mile run on Saturday
  • June 14 - 6 mile run on Sunday
  • June 20 - 19 mile run on Saturday

Simulation Run

  • June 26 - 12 mile run on Friday am
  • June 27 - 3am start - 25 mile run on Saturday

The simulation run was great and slightly unplanned. I ran 12 miles on Friday morning and then we had guests over to BBQ and I didn't get to sleep until after midnight. The alarm went off at 2:15am for a 3am start of the 25 mile training run with a friend who is training for the San Francisco marathon. I came into the Saturday run fatigued from the 12 miles and without much sleep from the late BBQ night and I survived. This is a good sign.

Nutrition Approach

After reading and experimenting in training, I've arrived at my nutrition plan for the Birthday Run. I'll primarily be using Hammer's Perpetuem to provide calories (carbs, protein and fat) along with some Hammer Gel for variety. I'll also be using Endurolytes for electrolyte replacement along with plenty of water. I decided to move away from carrying Gatorade to avoid mixing carbs and electrolytes with the other fuels and instead separate out the fuel, hydration and electrolytes. I used this approach on the simulation run and everything worked as I hoped, though I realized I need to take in a few more calories as I was pretty hungry at the end of the run. I'll have steel-cut oatmeal about 2.5 hours before the start and a Chocolate Balance Bar about 45 minutes before along with sips of Gatorade leading up to the start.

During the run, I'll aim for 16-24 oz of water each hour, depending on heat and humidity and take 2 Endurolytes per hour as well. The Perpetuem will be mixed to pancake-batter consistency and I'll swig this from my Fuel-belt bottle every 45 minutes or so and wash it down with water to get the calories I need. Hammer Gel will be used as well to vary the flavor and texture in addition to Fig Newtons and chicken broth at the rest stops for variety.

I'm feeling pretty good about the plan, but know I need to be flexible and prepared. Five days and counting...

No comments:

Post a Comment